Friday, June 10, 2011

Shepherd's Pie


I typically like having this meal during cold, winter months.  However, I'm not sure what happened with our spring weather, but it's June and I was wearing a warm, long sleeve shirt yesterday - what's up with that?!
So.....this meal not only warmed my innards, but it was tasty and simple.  You add/delete any ingredients to customize your unique palate.  I made this one rather tame for kiddos, but I also will use several other tubers as well.  Your spices are your best tools for getting the best flavors out of your meals - USE THEM!

1.5 lbs grass-fed beef (or the leanest variety if not grass-fed, or any variety of lean ground meat)
2 cups carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1-2 tsp minced garlic
smoked paprika
sea salt (optional)
black pepper
1 head cauliflower cut up into pieces
1/4 full fat coconut milk

In a large skillet, heat up 1 tsp coconut oil and saute carrots, onions and garlic until softened.  Add beef and spices and cook until browned.
While meat is cooking, steam cauliflower in microwave until softened (I use my micro-cooker  ALL the time and LOVE it!).

Dump cauliflower into food processor.

Pour coconut milk in food processor and blend until you have desired consistency.

Once meat/veggies are cooked, dump mixture into 9" pie plate.

Top with cauliflower and bake for 20 minutes.
I always double this batch to have quick leftovers for breakfast/lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment