Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bacon & Spinach Fritatta


This is a versatile and quick meal that can be prepared with basic staples in your fridge.  It literally took me an entire 20 minutes from the time I walked into my kitchen, to the time we sat down to eat.  You can eat this for dinner, like we did, or for any meal/snack.  I like to double my dinner recipes so we can have fast and convenient leftovers for breakfast or lunches, especially for teens that are on the go.

Ingredients:
8 eggs (preferably pastured, locally farmed or omega-3 enriched)
1/2 red onion finely chopped
1 tsp coconut oil
5-6 slices bacon (no-nitrate/nitrite!)
2 full cups baby spinach chopped (I grab two huge handfuls of the stuff)
2-4 cloves garlic minced
pepper & salt to taste

Heat coconut oil in large skillet over med heat.  Add onions and sautee until golden brown.  


While the onion is cooking, I like to cook the bacon in the microwave sandwiched between paper towels to avoid splattering. You can easily do this on the stove if you prefer, I just like to avoid big splattered messes that I will have to clean! 
In a bowl, beat the eggs and add any seasoning or spices that you prefer.
When bacon is done, let cool and chop up into small pieces (I use my food processor and pulse a couple times for perfect sized pieces - and it's quick!).
Add bacon, spinach and garlic to pan with onions and continue sauteeing until spinach just begins to wilt.


Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bacon mixture in pan, making sure everything is covered. 


Cook for 5-7 minutes or until eggs have just about set on top (they should still be somewhat runny and loose).  I let the pan just sit on the burner and don't mess with it at all.



While the eggs are cooking, turn the broiler on.  Once the eggs have just about set, place pan in oven and broil for 3-4 minutes or until fluffy and browned.  Make sure to keep a close eye during the broiling process, as the eggs can burn easily if left unattended.
This can be served immediately or set aside for later and eaten at room temperature.  Serve with a nice salad!

2 comments:

  1. My husband & I tried this over the weekend and it was delicious! We can't wait to try more of your recipes. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you both liked it!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete