Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sweet & Sour Beef-Cabbage Soup



I use grass-fed beef as much as possible (whole foods stores), but you can use your choice of ground beef in this recipe. I save all broths leftover from beef casseroles, freeze in ziplocs and use in recipes like this. If I don't have any beef broth to use, I purchase the organic, low sodium broth that has under 90mg of sodium per serving! Whenever possible, I double and even triple some of these recipes to have for leftovers the following day for breakfast or lunch or to freeze for days when I do not want to cook.

1 lb. lean grass-fed ground beef
1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp dried thyme (or 2 tsp fresh!)
1 red & 1 green bell pepper chopped
1 golden delicious apple, unpeeled and diced
6 c beef broth
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 tblsp paprika (I use hungarian smoked)
3 c Savory or green cabbage, coarsely chopped
1-2 tblsp cider vinegar (optional)
fresh ground pepper to taste (optional)

Brown beef with bell peppers, caraway seeds and thyme until browned. Stir in apples and cook another 2-3 minutes more. Stir in broth, tomatoes and paprika and boil gently for 8-10 minutes. Stir in cabbage and cook another 3-4 minutes more. Season with vinegar and pepper if you choose.




No comments:

Post a Comment